Brochure Type: Eastern Mediterranean 2022
Travel along the age-old trading routes that linked East and West revealing all the Highlights of Turkey. Do some haggling of your own in Istanbul's Grand Bazaar, fall asleep amidst the fairy-tale landscapes of Cappadocia and walk in the footsteps of the ancient Greeks in Ephesus.
- Explore Istanbul with a Local Specialist
- Visit the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Byzantine Hippodrome and Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, Anzac Cove and the poignant War Cemeteries at Gallipoli, the Asclepion Medical Centre at Pergamon, the ancient city of Ephesus, the Virgin Mary's House at Ephesus, the Cotton Castle springs at Pamukkale, the ruins of the Roman health spa at Hierapolis, the Goreme Open-Air Museum and the underground city of Saratli
- View the Wooden Horse at Troy
- Connect with Locals Meet the most liberated women in Turkey in the village of Demircidere, where you'll learn how to bake traditional bread and taste the local wine at our Be My Guest lunch.
- Stays with Stories Located alongside the ancient Ortahisar rock castle, many of the rooms at Dilek Kaya Hotel are hewn out of the surrounding rock.
- Dive into Culture Haggle for souvenirs at Istanbul's Grand Bazaar one of the largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and over 5,000 shops.
- Dive into Culture Learn about the art of pottery making in Avanos.
- 1 Welcome Reception
- 9 Breakfasts
- 5 Dinners
- 1 Be My Guest
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Ferry across the Dardanelles from Eceabat to Canakkale
- Flight from Cappadocia to Istanbul
- Optional Experiences and free time
Call (518) 346-3525 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16422209
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 6/30/2022
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Istanbul||Welcome to Istanbul: Meet at the crossroads of East and West - the effervescent capital of Istanbul launches your journey of discovery through centuries of turmoil and triumph. Spend the day exploring after being transferred to your hotel. Later, you'll meet your Travel Director and travel companions for a memorable Welcome Reception.|
Radisson Blu Sisli
|Day 2||Istanbul||Discover Colourful Istanbul: Delve into the treasures of the Ottoman Empire, strolling through the exquisite Topkapi Palace with its spellbinding views of the Bosphorus. We explore Hagia Sophia, once one of the greatest churches in all of Christendom, before following in the footsteps of the faithful for a visit to the Blue Mosque - its six minarets and beautiful blue Iznik tiles are a sight to behold. Dive Into Culture as you haggle for souvenirs at Istanbul's Grand Bazaar, one of the largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and over 5,000 shops. Later, we visit the Byzantine Hippodrome to see where thundering chariots once raced to victory. The rest of the day is yours to explore the city.|
|Day 3||Gallipoli and Canakkale||Journey to Gallipoli and Canakkale: We remember the heroism of the many thousands of men who fought bravely at Gallipoli. We'll see Lone Pine Cemetery and the battlefields that today still hold special significance for the Turkish, Australian and New Zealand nations. Spend a quiet moment commemorating the lives lost at Anzac Cove and Chunuk Bair, where some of the fiercest fighting took place during World War I. This evening we stay in Canakkale where tonight we'll dine in our hotel.|
|Day 4||Troy, Pergamon and Izmir||Off to Troy, Pergamon and Izmir: Visit a land of Trojan legends, an ancient city immortalised by Homer in the stories of King Priamus, Hector, Paris and the beautiful Helen. We admire the archaeological excavations at Troy revealing nine separate periods of settlement and the symbolic replica wooden Trojan horse commemorating the epic war machine constructed by the Greeks to end a lengthy siege. We continue to the ancient kingdom of Pergamon to visit the Asclepion Medical Centre whose staff of entwined snakes remains a symbol of modern medicine today. This afternoon, we Connect With Locals over lunch in the village of Demircidere at a Be My Guest experience. We travel to the broad boulevards of seaside Izmir later, and dine in our hotel this evening.|
|Day 5||Ruins of Ephesus and on to Pamukkale||Admire the Ruins of Ephesus and on to Pamukkale: Journey into antiquity and explore the ruins of the ancient Greek city of Ephesus admiring the well-preserved facade of the Library of Celsus and its famous Temple of Artemis. We visit the House of the Virgin Mary, the Temple of Hadrian guarded by Medusa's head, and the Great Theatre, built by the Romans in the 2nd-century and still in use today. Relax and enjoy the blissful thermal pools at your hotel in Pamukkale.|
|Day 6||Hierapolis and Konya||Onwards to Hierapolis and Konya: This morning we enjoy a leisurely visit to the ancient ruins of the Holy City of Hierapolis, imagining ancient patrons seeking revival and rest within their limestone-laden thermal springs. Our last stop today is Konya where tonight we dine in our hotel.|
|Day 7||Cappadocia||Continue to Cappadocia: Visit the Mevlana Museum and Mausoleum in Konya, a former dervish lodge of the Mevlevi order, which reveals the origins of Sufism. Continuing your journey to Cappadocia, you'll see a 13th-century caravanserai then Dive Into Culture to learn about the art of pottery making in Avanos. Later, consider joining an Optional Experience to watch the Whirling Dervishes then enjoy a Regional Meal at a local restaurant. Tonight, you'll enjoy an overnight stay at one of Trafalgar's Stays With Stories set alongside the ancient Ortahisar rock castle. Many of the rooms are hewn from the surrounding rock and boast views of Cappadocia's fairy-tale landscapes.|
|Day 8||A Day to Explore Spectacular Goreme||A Day to Explore Spectacular Goreme: The whimsical landscapes of Cappadocia take centre stage today as you embark on a full-day excursion that will see you visit the Goreme Open-Air Museum, the Pasabagi and Kizil Vadi valleys and underground city of Saratli on the ancient Silk Road. You'll learn about the intricate heritage and art of carpet weaving during a visit to a Turkish carpet emporium before joining your fellow travellers for an included dinner this evening.|
|Day 9||Istanbul||Return to Istanbul: Take a short flight this morning to Istanbul, where the rest of the day is yours to explore the city your way. Enjoy a sensory explosion at the vibrant Spice Market, take a stroll through the historic Sultanahmet or find a quiet rooftop cafe and admire Istanbul's iconic skyline. You could choose instead to join an optional cruise and sail the waters of the Bosphorus which separate Asia and Europe. Tonight, join your Travel Director and fellow companions for a Farewell Dinner.|
Radisson Blu Sisli
|Day 10||Istanbul||Farewell Istanbul: We say a fond farewell to Turkey and newfound friends as we prepare to depart to the airport for our flight home. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers.|
- Special Rate Solo Rooming: Departures 15 July, 29 July and 14 October 2022 will include 20 - 100% discount on our standard single supplement.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class